The Long Game…
This update is brought to you by the Neopets team, project owner and lead of the Neopets Metaverse Collection NFT.
This edition will touch upon various topics regarding the project’s trajectory and vision. Coverage includes:
- Community update
- Long term vision
It’s been barely 2 weeks since our first announcement. It’s impressive to see how quickly the Neopets Metaverse community has organically grown. We also recently released an explanation on why we chose the Solana chain to issue the Neopets Metaverse Collection NFTs. You can read it here. We were generally very happy by the engagement this has caused within the community and of course this leads to further questions about where this project is headed…
Long Term Vision
Our long term vision is to create a single application which players can use to interact with the entire Neopets Metaverse.
Our vision is focused on three pillars that we are aiming to bring into reality:
- Stage 1: the Neopian Metaverse — the creation of a vast immersive environment where players can interact and shape each other’s experience;
- Stage 2: the Play-to-Earn economy — a sophisticated economy integrated on the Solana blockchain where players can interact with one another, with value they can create, earn and share with other players during their gameplay experience; and
- Stage 3: the Decentralized Neopian Metaverse — a more fully decentralized metaverse where players can shape each other’s experiences through greater opportunities for engagement in the design and operation of the Neopian Metaverse.
Stage 1: The Neopian Metaverse
The Neopian Metaverse we are trying to create will be a universe where any player can interact, nurture, explore and build a world for their Neopets.
We envision aspects of the metaverse to include (but not be limited to):
- player assets represented by a combination of fungible tokens and NFTs;
- compatibility and interaction with other fungible tokens and NFTs;
- progression of Neopets (gaining experience points, leveling up, achievements etc.);
- PvP gameplay and mechanisms;
- PvE gameplay and mechanisms;
- development and sale of parcels of in-game land;
- in-game social interaction with other players; and
- user generated content where developers and creators can make games on the Neopian Metaverse assets and host them on virtual land plots.
Our aim is for assets within the Neopian Metaverse to be transferable to enable them to be fully useable. This means that peer-to-peer sharing will generally be permitted. In addition, marketplaces may evolve over time to enable sharing between users.
Stage 2: The Play-to-Earn Economy
The key difference between Play-to-Earn models and traditional pay-to-play or free-to-play models is that the former utilizes the blockchain economic design to reward its players for their contributions to the ecosystem — usually by way of a fungible token on the blockchain’s native network.
This is what we want to create with the Neopian Metaverse — a universe where any player can earn tokens through skilled gameplay and contributions to the ecosystem. The construction and implementation for this Stage 2 will occur after the completion and finalization of Stage 1.
Some early ideas we have in our vision include (but are not limited to):
- competing through PvP or PvE gameplay to win leaderboard prizes;
- exploring with your very own Neopet and bolstering your own team; and
- nurturing Neopets and collecting rare items/elements and other fungible and non-fungible tokens.
We are also considering various other features, including (but not limited to):
- integration with other platforms built on or compatible with Solana blockchain infrastructure; and
- partnerships with third parties that may assist a healthy ecosystem, such as the marketplaces noted in Stage 1;
- various mechanisms to assist users to create and earn value, including with the assistance of staking tools and/or by allowing users to lend assets to assist one another.
Stage 3: Decentralized Neopian Metaverse
In addition, we see that the Neopian Metaverse could gradually evolve into a community-powered initiative (and potentially over time a decentralized autonomous organization).
We anticipate that this process will be a natural outcome of the Neopian Metaverse’s native token becoming more and more distributed amongst participants and players over time. This will also coincide with the project team’s ownership becoming less concentrated and therefore adding to the pace of decentralization.
Our ideal outcome is for the players and participants to organically grow and bloom into a vibrant and self-sustaining community that will be able to submit development proposals and vote on the direction of the Neopian Metaverse without our team’s intervention.
We envision that at some stage, all proposals relating to the platform will be able to be voted on by the community. Potential items would include:
- which teams should receive funding from the ecosystem’s fund?
- how should the community treasury be distributed?
- how should the community treasury be used to reward token holders and the broader Neopets Metaverse community?
- and more….
In summary, we are very bullish about NFTs and see play to earn as the future of online gaming. We are very excited about the ability to incorporate these concepts with Neopets. We plan to make regular updates to the community in the future on the status and latest developments of the Neopets Metaverse project.
Stay tuned for more exciting updates!
This article is issued by Neopets Inc. It is intended for informational purposes only regarding our future plans. It is not intended to be legally binding, nor is it intended to be an offer, solicitation or advice of any kind. Any forward-looking statements or information involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, which may cause actual events to differ materially. No reliance should be placed on any such forward-looking statements or information.
The initiatives in this article, if they proceed, may not be available to all persons in all jurisdictions, and are subject to change. No regulatory authority in any jurisdiction has examined or approved of this article or any part thereof.
Please always read any applicable terms and conditions carefully and seek trusted advice as needed.